Welcome to the Economic Development Site
In 1985, the Crater Planning District Commission was formally designated as an Economic Development District by the U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA). The Economic Development Administration provides grants for infrastructure development, local capacity building, and business development; to help communities in economically distressed areas alleviate conditions of substantial and persistent unemployment and underemployment.
Since 1985, the Crater Planning District Commission serving as the Economic Development District (EDD) for the region, has received planning funds from the EDA to assist communities and build capacity to focus on long-term economic challenges. The Crater EDD also serves as the coordinating entity for various other Federal and State programs.
The Crater EDD has helped to implement the following EDA-sponsored projects since its designation:
EDA Sponored Project Listings & Pictures
- Greensville County – Mid-Atlantic Advanced Manufacturing Center (MAMAC) Water Line
- Prince George County – Commonwealth Center for Advanced Manufacturing (CCAM)
- Dinwiddie County – Industrial Facility Sewer Project (Tindall Concrete)
- City of Emporia – Emporia Industrial Park Improvement Project
- Greensville County – Industrial Park Utility System Project
- City of Petersburg – Brown & Williamson Facility Reuse Project (Anchor Industrial Park)
- Preliminary Engineering Feasibility/Design for Proposed Dinwiddie County/City of Petersburg Industrial Park
- Surry County – Surry County Industrial Park Project (Surry West Business Center)
- Sussex County – 460 Corridor Project (Wavery Airport Site)